Saturday, August 18, 2007

The first Malaysian I met in Geneva- at the hospital

I did not expect this could actually happen, but it did. Surprisingly.
While I was having my lunch as usual in the staffs' tearoom, having a chat with a nurse and we went into the discussion of origins of our countries. She told me that her patient is a Malaysian too. I was surprised. In these few months in Geneva, I have not yet met any Malaysian and the first one I was going to meet happened in the hospital!
After having work at hands done, I accelerated my steps to the last chamber of the unit where the "Malaysian" was admitted to. An asian face caught my attention with his nurse at his side whom I was speaking to during the lunch time. She said that I was at the right place. I flipped through his file to get an idea of what he had before approaching him.
He woke up from his sleep, greeting me in French. I waited awhile and asked him for his origin in English, and he said "Malaysia". I answered: me too! He warmly shaked my hand without realizing I was the doctor in the unit. We chatted for a while. He appeared very tired, but he tried his best to speak to me.
What a surprise that life could bring to us!
I was the first Malaysian he met in Geneva in 2.5 years.
None of us expected it could happen in the hospital, the least-wished place where people meet for the first time.
I wish that he would make speedy recovery, and enjoy what he used to do as a life traveler.
And I think he will.

No comments: