Saturday, March 29, 2008

Eternal Star: Dalida


2 weeks ago, my buddy Janice told me that my new studio is near the memorial of a late French singer, Dalida, an Egyptian-born singer of Italian origins who lived most of her life in France, and in fact her former apartment is not far from where I stay now in the 18th urban district, which is just within "climbing distance" to Sacré Coeur, Montmartre.

I just realized that I knew a couple of her songs eg besame mucho, pour te dire je t'aime etc. Out of curiosity, I visited her memorial which is 10 mins walk away, then walk down along rue Caulaincourt to see her tomb at the Montmarte Cemetery, but unfortunately couldn't get access to enter.

Her stories being a mixture Egytian and Italian in France made me extremely interested to know more about her life. Mon minou bought her DVDs for me which included some of her interviews and marvellous video clips. I adore Egyptian and Italian musics and she just gathered all these elements in her! I wished that I had known her much earlier.

Even though her life is pretty tragic, but she really had lived a glittering life, like a meteor across the dark sky. Her songs still nourish many souls around the world. I admire her perseverance and hardwork, which had given her successful career. She once said: Her career is no doubt great, but it might be gone just overnight if she doesn't keep herself up to date. In fact, her songs did evolve over 25 years of her career, that explained how she stayed the music queen for such a long time! Despite a strong Italian accent and character!

She is forever!!

No comments: